A US soaring contest scoring system
Winscore is a robust and easy to use Windows based scoring program for soaring contests in the US. The scoring program is used at soaring contests to calculate contestant speeds, distances, scores, and to generate score sheets. The scoring program also can generate .zip files which contains the GPS flight traces (.igc files) and scoring information (.xml) for each contestant. These .zip files can then be put on a web page where Internet users can view a replay of the contestant's flights for that day.
Winscore Program (Windows Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10):
These tutorials were made available via www.youtube.com. For best results, view the tutorial in full screen mode
Winscore Version History:
Contest Scoring Program:
· Initial 2018 update.
· Updated Cylinder Finish to 2018 rules.
· Updated Start Penalty to 2018 rules.
· Updated Missed Turnpoint Penalty to 2018 rules.
2017 Rev 24
· Upgraded automatic scoring to be multithreaded for more efficient background scoring.
2017 Rev 23
· Permitted automatic scoring dialog to run in the background, so other tasks can be performed while automatic scoring is running.
2017 Rev 22
· Fixed Bug in selection of best scoring start for TAT and MAT tasks. Code was using TOC instead of STOC to compute speeds for candidate starts.
· Fixed Bug in start time edit
2017 Rev 21
· Implemented statistical analysis in motor run detection
· Added airfield bonus for motor retrieve.
· Added rolling finish when finish gate is in use.
· Added Copy capability from View Analysis dialog.
2017 Rev 20
· Improved motor run detection
· Implemented finish gate minimum altitude warning
2017 Rev 19
· Fixed crash if no fixes were in start cylinder after task open
· Fixed inclusion of flight logs in .zip file when no log path is specified.
2017 Rev 18
· Corrected error in Rev 17 installer that was complaining about a missing dll
· Improved start recognition
· Improved flight Edit… reliability
2017 Rev 17
· Corrected error in Rev 16 where starts were not identified in Turn Area Tasks.
· Program now checks and advises when a newer version is available.
2017 Rev 16 (do not use)
· Improved MAT turnpoint edits and detection
· Removed * from the specific flight values which were exported to scoresheets.
· Fixed edited flight not being displayed correctly after a save.
2017 Rev 15
· Added warning message if an edit or an analysis is attempted on a contest day which has been made official.
· Added Autosave checkbox in AutoScore.
· Stored contest passwords in the computer registry, not the data file.
· Indicated with an * the specific values which were edited in the flight log list.
· Corrected the best start determination for distance only non finishers.
· Corrected the start determination and penalty when the latest start is before the task opens.
2017 Rev 14
· Trapped and skipped invalid B records in IGC logs.
2017 Rev 13
· Corrected the withdrew status not being saved properly
· When no fix is in start cylinder, then only those fixes after task open are considered for start fix.
· Changed task setup variables to be stored in local registery, not system registery.
2017 Rev 12
· Corrected MAXDP computation when there are no finishers
2017 Rev 11
· Made the auto score status log persist between sessions
· Made the no log found status appear sorted, but a refresh is required
· Corrected Autoscore to identify non-contestant logs received via email.
2017 Rev 10
· Corrected default SMTD and SMTT for several classes.
· Corrected Club Class Handicap update during import.
· Imposed handicap limit check for Club class during import.
· Fixed Auto Score time interval persistence.
· Changed format of text when copying a task to the clipboard.
2017 Rev 9
· Made the flight log paths relative to the .wscx file. This facilitates scoring on different computers at the same time.
2017 Rev 8
· Continued improvement in recognition of start time which yields the best start
2017 Rev 7
· Improved recognition of start time which yields the best start when a start penalty was applied or latest start was before task open time.
· Fixed issues with Alternate Start time selection
2017 Rev 6:
· Improved recognition of Best Scoring Start.
· Fixed XML name formatting when exporting flight logs to the ssa.org
2017 Rev 5:
· Recognized MOP entry in IGC files for method of propulsion in addition to ENL.
· Fixed contest setup regional/national radio flag for National contest downloads from ssa.org
2017 Rev 4:
· Added No Log Found text override function
· Made finishing below finish cylinder an incomplete task.
2017 Rev 3:
· Fixed TAT Radii exported for Assigned Tasks
· Changed nomenclature from Assigned Speed Task to Assigned Task.
· Fixed problem where check start diagnostics were not displayed when checking a single flight.
· Fixed Sharing violation during autoscore.
2017 Rev 2:
· Fixed bug in contestant import from xml
· Added Club Class
· Accepted as OK when SSA server returns "Bad File Type"
· Added the current wscx file to the flight log .zip file
2017 Rev 1:
· Removed timestamp verification for flight logs
· Corrected saved password retrieval
· Corrected FAI Handicapped class import
· Corrected Start time edit after 1st turnpoint was achieved.
2017 Beta 3:
· Updated for new 2017 STOC formula
· Corrected contest penalty application on practice days
· Added library of tasks
· Changed contest file format to .wscx (xml based), and discontinued the .wsc format.
· Moved registry settings from the system registry to the contest file.
· Autoscore capability (email download, analysis, send to SSA)
· Added Copy and Save_As options when viewing a task or flight.
2017 Beta 2:
· Warning resolution panel, one click to apply penalties.
· Autoscore capability (email download, analysis, send to SSA)
· Multiple Log processing (selects the best scoring)
· Image “Copy” command in task/flight display menu.
· Implemented new algorithm for Best Start selection. Best scoring start is now easily accomplished. (Two Steps)
· Program checks for updated handicap list on www.ssa.org and prompts the scorer to download and install.
· New handicap summary report is generated.
· Handicap value computation was refined during contestant download from www.ssa.org.
2016 - Rev 3:
· Handicap List is now read real time from the SSA website, not a local file
· Added logic to automatically select the latest penalty free start (not guaranteed to produce the best score)
· Added logic to automatically land out motorgliders who do an engine retrieve
2016 - Rev 2:
· Made Standard Class handicapped by default
· Fixed MAT analysis problem where tasks cut short were scored as incomplete
· Added some convenience pre-defined penalty codes
· Fixed incorrect display of BESTDIST in the scoring info output
· Fixed inclusion of spurious turnpoints in the turnpoint edit box for MATS
· Fixed installer to put several manufacturer supplied security dlls in the correct system directory
· Changed security check to first check for later "igc-*2.dll" versions.
2016 - Rev 1:
· Fixed incorrect contest penalty application & Streamlined Contestant import
· Updated handicap information.
2016 - Rev 0 - Updated for 2016 Rules
Support of the scoring and viewing programs is provided by the author, Guy Byars.
The best way to contact him is via email:
For critical support issues, Guy's cell phone is: 513-307-1484
In your initial mail message to Guy, please include a complete description of your problem and also attach the Winscore data file (.wsc) to the email. If you are having problem with the evaluation of a flight log, you should also attach the IGC file for the flight in question. Including this information with your initial email will speed up your support.
Note, some email programs have problems with attachments that have a .wsc extension. To avoid this problem, you can send the contest data in .xml format. To do this from Winscore, simply go to File->Export->Entire Contest in XML... and export an .xml file, then attach it to your email along with any .igc files that are causing problems.
Page last updated Tuesday May 27, 2014